Saturday, October 20, 2012

Cleanliness is close to godliness

I'd like nothing better than to have a clean, clutter-free home.

 We live in my father-in-law's house along with my sister-in-law, her daughter, and my uncle-in-law. The house is huge. There are two kitchens. Three bathrooms. Six bedrooms. Crazy. Large. House. When you live in a house with so many people (even a large one) it makes it difficult. For example, uncle-in-law will rifle through our laundry and pull out ALL THE TOWELS including the hooded baby towels and store them in the basement apartment (where he and father-in-law live.) He even stole my changing pad cover because it looked like a towel. He also steals our socks. So we're constantly buying socks. I've decided recently that I'm going to go buy the funkiest, weirdest socks that I can find and I'm going to label them. We'll see if that stops him.

Then I have the issue that my SIL will make a huge mess in the kitchen and will refuse to clean up after herself. So I'll wake up and go to make my kids breakfast and there won't be any clean flatware despite the fact that I just washed (by hand as the dishwasher is broken.) all of them. She keeps her food in the basement apartment but for some reason needs to use our dishes. Drives me batty.

Then I'll walk into the living room where the children will have pulled ALL THE BOOKS off of the bookcase.

We don't make a lot of money. M. is an RCA. If he worked full-time we'd make decent money. Since he doesn't work full-time (usually) we're on a very strict budget.  I've worked in the past. Most recently I worked at Mcdonalds (don't judge!) at a biscuit maker. It was horrible. I ultimately quit for two reasons.

1. I was asked to stick my arm in a 500* oven and clean it out without any protection and not being allowed to turn the oven off.

2. I came home from work early one day and found Fat Baby (who was three months old at the time) wearing a diaper that went down to his knees. While laying down. His shirt (all that was on him in the December cold weather) soaking wet. Then I saw that Buggy also had on a diaper that was hitting his knees. Even though he was supposed to be potty training. I was livid! 

So I quit and I've stayed at home since. Well, I didn't truly quit. I am on a leave of absence and have the ability to come back at any time. If I so wish.  Which I don't.

Anyway, to get back to what I was saying about not having a lot of money. That means that we have to make do with what we have. My changing table was amazing when I bought it. It was on clearance at Kmart and had three very large drawers. The drawers broke. It is very sturdy, but it looks trashy as hell. We don't have the money to replace it. So we keep it.

The carpet is pink and completely stained up. This carpet has been in this house for over 20 years now. Cleaning the carpet makes it look nice for a week. Then the stains start to come back out. It makes me embarrassed to take pictures.

The whole house is a giant mess and I'm just too... depressed? Lazy? Unmotivated? To clean it.

I look so forward to moving out and getting my own place. I look forward to M. getting the full-time route so that we can afford to.




No comments:

Post a Comment